PRIVACY STATEMENT AND DATA PROTECTION
As a Local Authority and Data Controller, the Council collects holds and processes information, including personal information, about residents, people it provides services to, and other people. It does this to provide its services in the most effective and efficient way that it can.
The Council recognises that it has a duty to people whose information it holds to treat that information responsibly, keep it safe and secure, and process it correctly and proportionately. This privacy notice explains how we use any personal information we collect about you. Our main contact details can be found https://callington-tc.gov.uk/general-enquiries/.
If you would like general information about Data Protection, the law and good practice please see the Information Commissioner’s website. The Information Commissioner is the Data Protection statutory governing body for England and Wales. Their website is https://ico.org.uk/.
Who is our Data Protection Officer?
The Council’s Data Protection Officer is Paul Russell. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
What information do we collect about you and for what purpose?
We may collect personal data about you which covers basic details such as name, address, telephone number. We also collect some sensitive information such as ethnicity and religious beliefs, but only where it is required to provide a service or for monitoring equality of our employees. We will always explain to you why and how this information will be used.
The legal basis for processing the data is:
- Contract: the processing is necessary for a contract we have with the individual, or because they have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract
- Legal obligation: the processing is necessary for us to comply with the law
- Public task: the processing is necessary for us to perform a task in the public interest or for our official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law
- Consent: the individual has given clear consent for us to process their personal data for a specific purpose
We process personal information to enable us to provide a range of government services to the local community. Information we process includes:
- maintaining our own accounts and records
- supporting and managing our employees
- promoting the services we provide
- marketing our local tourism
- managing our property
- providing leisure and cultural services
- carrying out surveys
- crime prevention and prosecution offenders including the use of CCTV
- corporate administration and all activities we are required to carry out as a data controller and public authority
If you would like to know more about the Council’s functions and duties please see the Council’s website at www.callington-tc.gov.uk
We will process personal data for the following purposes:
- For the purpose to which you provided the information.
- To ensure that the Council meets its legal requirements.
- To process financial transactions to and from the Council
- Where you have consented to the processing or for the purpose of a contract you have entered into with us
- Where necessary to protect individuals from harm or injury
- Where otherwise permitted under data protection legislation e.g. disclosure to comply with legal obligations.
We will not normally share your information with organisations other than our partner organisations without your consent. However, there may be certain circumstances where we would share without consent such as where we are required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, and in risk of harm or emergency situations. Any information which is shared will only be shared on a need to know basis, with appropriate individuals. Only the minimum information for the purpose will be shared.
When do we share your personal data with third parties?
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not in line with the purpose you originally gave it to us for, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
How long do we keep your records?
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this privacy notice will be kept in line with our Retention Policy which can be downloaded here. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request your information and to request that the information be amended or erased if incorrect.
To exercise these rights, you will need to put your request in writing and provide proof of identification to Callington Town Council, Town Hall, New Road, Callington, Cornwall PL17 7BY.You also have a right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner’s Office https://ico.org.uk/
Providing Accurate Information
It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you in order to assess your needs and delivery the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please ensure that you inform us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, please contact the Town Clerk on 01579 384039 or email email@example.com in the first instance.
More information about data protection and how it applies to you can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.